Problems with a new install of SQL Server 2008

So it’s been just over a year since my last post in this journal.  To be honest, I haven’t touch a piece of ASP.NET / C# code for a while now, probably not a good thing seeing I spent 7 years of my employed life as a .NET developer.  Still, during the past year or so I was learning some Java (hiss I can hear from your mouths) for a mobile project I wanted to do.  I shelved that around 4 months ago.  Anyhow, back to the topic.

My old Win laptop died on me 3 weeks ago, funny just as I was about to play with .Net.  My new laptop arrived last week, and today I set aside an afternoon to look at the last piece of .Net code I wrote, a C# diary program.  Late last week I rejoined Microsoft Web Sparks programme so to obtain a free copy of Visual Studio 2010 Professional.  That installed fine with a copy of SQL Server 2008 Express.  Today I loaded the diary program, run it, and tried to write a diary entry into the database.  That’s when this funky error message appeared:

DB cannot be opened because it is version 655. This server supports version 649 and earlier. A downgrade path is not supported.

Hang on, this is the same SQL Server 2008 Express I used on my last laptop.  I decided to do a windows update.  The result being that their was a new service pack that was queued to being installed.  So I installed the pack, and tried once more.  No luck, same error message.  A quick web search, I found a post from a user who had a similar error message, just a difference version.  The fix?  To remove all of SQL Server 2008 Express and reinstall.  Okay, I did that.  Installed.  Reboot.  Run diary program again.  This produced a new error message:

Failed to generate a user instance of SQL Server due to a failure in starting the process for the user instance. The connection will be closed.

Right away I thought of my connection string.  But the setup was the same as my old Win laptop, so it should work fine.  A search on StackOverFlow.com lead me to an article that pointed here.

A quick read and executing of the two points listed, run the program, and database connection was successful.

Unfortunately the article doesn’t give a good reason why the second error occurred, I’ve yet to look further into it.  Really my diary program should have run properly without errors of this kind.  Still, it gave me something to write about.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: